2011年7月24日星期日

Openly gay Carmouche fighting for plenty of causes this weekend

Liz Carmouche is like most people who fear something they're unfamiliar with; the former Marine hated MMA when she first saw it. Once she learned about the sport and began training, she quickly gained an understanding. Carmouche (on the left) would probably like to see people be as open-minded when it comes to someone's sexual preference.

According to Ben Fowlkes from MMAFighting, Carmouche will be the first openly gay fighter to fight under the Zuffa banner when she steps into the cage on Friday at Strikeforce Challengers 17. Carmouche faces a former champion in Sarah Kaufman (Showtime 11 p.m. ET/PT)

After years of having to hide her identity while an active Marine, Carmouche feels liberated. Said Carmouche:

"It was really difficult. I wouldn't say I came out so much as I came into my own. I really discovered what my sexuality meant to me and what that meant to me as a person. I was able to come out to my family, but other than that I couldn't come out to co-workers or to friends because of what that would mean for my military life and my career. That made my life difficult, because I felt like I was constantly conflicted and at war with myself every day that I faced people."

Carmouche's sexual preference flew under the radar in MMA, but she knows that wouldn't be the case if a male fighter announced he was gay.

"When [men] look at two women, it's 'lesbian action,'" she said. "That's attractive to them. Two men doesn't have that same appeal to them. Two women is just much more appealing to them, because they find it attractive."

Carmouche first felt acceptance in the gym.

"It's pretty funny, because it was obvious to all of us [that she was gay], I think," chuckled Carmouche's coach,�Manny Hernandez. [...]

"At our school we look at it like, she's an athlete," Hernandez said. "She can definitely [expletive] you up. That is something that happens. There are male fighters in the lighter weight classes who will high-tail it out of here, because they didn't sign up to get beat up by a chick. But it happens."

Carmouche (5-1) has been successful in carrying those beatings over to the Strikeforce cage. Back in March, she shocked many by pounding Strikeforce's 135-pound champion Marloes Coenen for three-plus rounds before making a silly mistake and getting caught in a triangle choke. Keep in mind, Carmouche accepted the fight on 10 days notice and has only been a pro since last May. Coenen's been a pro since 2000.

Against Kaufman on Friday, Carmouche gets a chance�to prove the Coenen fight wasn't a fluke�and more importantly break some new barriers.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Openly-gay-Carmouche-fighting-for-plenty-of-caus?urn=mma-wp4851

Georges Grignard Bobby Grim Romain Grosjean Olivier Grouillard Brian Gubby

没有评论:

发表评论