2011年9月30日星期五

Anthony Johnson is trying to turn the corner with his new camp

Anthony Johnson is trying to turn the corner with his new camp

Anthony Johnson has always been guy with a massive potential, but between weight cutting issues and the lack of a well-rounded game, he hasn't been able to breakthrough. Now might be the time to keep an eye on the 27-year-old.

We get our first look at the revitalized Johnson (9-3, 6-3 UFC) this Saturday against Charlie Brenneman on the UFC on Versus 6 card in Washington, D.C.

Johnson picked up new management early in 2011 and then made the wise move of joining what appears to be the next elite camp on the horizon - Imperial Athletics.

The south Florida camp was started by a crew of Brazilians who were unhappy with their old team American Top team. Now with an infusion of American fighters, including Johnson, Imperial is helping to shore up the weakness of various fighters.

For Johnson it means gaining more respect for takedown defense and his jiu-jitsu game.

"At one point, I can't lie, I couldn't stand jiu-jitsu. I did it, but if you don't have a passion for something, you're not going to be good at it. Now my passion for jiu-jitsu is picking up, so now my jiu-jitsu game is improving a lot," Johnson said. "It's all about if you want to be good or if you don't. If you want to be an average fighter or an average person in life, that's what you're going to be. I don't want to be labeled as a one-dimensional fighter."

He gets to work on his ground game with black belts like Jorge Santiago and Danillo Villefort. Fellow African-Americans Rashad Evans and Michael Johnson also train at Imperial and have now come to call themselves "The Blackzilians."

Johnson is becoming a smarter fighter. He heard a rash of crap from the fans in Oakland for his measured attack in a win over Dan Hardy at UFC 117. He doesn't care if it leads to wins.

"I don't give a [expletive] what anybody has to say about how I fight, because at the end of the day, they're either going to watch me or they aren't. They're either going to love me or they're going to hate me, so I'm going to continue to be me," said Johnson. "If I say I'm going to punch you in the eye, I might not punch you in the eye; I might kick you in your leg, you know what I mean? I'm going to always do the unexpected."

Johnson saw the light around one his most heated fights. He and Josh Koscheck went at it during the prefight lead up to their bout at UFC 106. Koscheck took him down, controlled him on the ground and mocked him throughout the fight. As a result, something clicked with Johnson.

"I learned a lesson from the Koscheck fight. Don't fall into the hype; that's what you don't do. You don't believe everything somebody says they're going to do. That's what makes you a mixed martial artist�? being prepared in every aspect of the game."

Now Johnson is taking a respectful approach to Brenneman.

"Charlie has a good chin, a good style of fighting. I actually really like his style; he has a nice little swagger when it comes down to fighting, and he puts it together really well. I don't have any doubts in Charlie at all. I think he can do anything he wants to do, but when he's fighting somebody like me, it's going to be a lot tougher," said Johnson.\

Brenneman is a great test for Johnson. He's a relentless takedown artist. If Johnson's takedown defense isn't up to snuff he'll lose a decision.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Anthony-Johnson-is-trying-to-turn-the-corner-wit?urn=mma-wp7523

Maurício Gugelmin Dan Gurney Hubert Hahne Mike Hailwood Mika Häkkinen

没有评论:

发表评论